Getting ready for a workplace move is a huge effort for all involved. But by preparing people mentally and presenting the move as a series of actionable steps you can help ensure a successful transition and set a strong foundation for positive change. With a comprehensive communication and move strategy in place you can anticipate issues, mitigate fears and give employees the tools and resources to understand their new space.
Our move management team has compiled a list of best move practices to consider as you prepare for a successful workplace move;
1. Pre-Planning phase:
• Consider a workplace survey to gauge end-user pain points in current space
• Schedule a site review with your move partner to develop a move plan
• Meet with end users in each department to determine what will be archived, donated, recycled, shredded or moved
• Plan out several clean days well in advance
• Create a numbered plan and develop your key move team members
2. Pre-Move phase:
• Lead small groups or teams to tour the new space and build excitement
• Communicate the schedule/plan to all who are affected by the move
• Appoint a move concierge to answer any questions before, during and after the move
• Have weekly move meetings with key move team members and share project notes as issues arise
• Provide packing centers with extra boxes, tape and markers
• Provide protocols for packing, for example; don’t overload boxes (keep them less than 30 lbs), label your boxes with the your name, team, floor # and workspace #, and color code boxes by department
• Re-iterate company policies for discarding or digitizing documents
• Develop a move-in booklet for each employee that shares a floorplan, design intent and protocols for the new space
3. Move Day
• Have a move concierge at the new space to answer questions
• Have directional signage posted to help guide employees
• Have a welcome breakfast and “thank you for your patience” gift waiting for employees at their new desks
• Set up a “help desk” for any small changes that need to take place.
• Have training available for any new technology
4. Post Move
• Consider administering a post-move survey to employees to asses the new space
Enlisting the help of an experienced move management partner can be a key strategic asset when considering a workplace move, but with these best practices under your belt you can set the foundation for a successful transition!
AUTHORED BY: James O’Hare
Meet our bloggers!