Getting ready for an office move is a huge effort for all involved. Using this office move checklist will help create actionable steps to ensure a successful transition and set a strong foundation for positive change.
Our move management team has compiled the following checklist of best practices to consider as you prepare for a successful workplace move:
1. Planning Phase:
• Develop your key move team members
• Schedule a site review with your move partner to develop a move plan
• Meet with end users in each department to determine what will be archived, donated, recycled, shredded or moved
• Plan out several clean days well in advance
• Create a move timeline, project schedule and initial budget
• Create color-coded and numbered floor plans to document the move process
2. Pre-Move Phase:
• Lead small groups or teams to tour the new space and build excitement
• Communicate the schedule/plan to all who are affected by the move
• Appoint a move concierge to answer any questions before, during and after the move
• Have weekly move meetings with key move team members and share project notes as issues arise
• Provide packing centers with extra boxes, tape and markers
• Provide protocols for packing, for example; don’t overload boxes (keep them less than 30 lbs), label your boxes with the your name, team, floor # and workspace #, and color code boxes by department
• Re-iterate company policies for discarding or digitizing documents
• Develop a move-in booklet for each employee that shares a floorplan, design intent and protocols for the new space
3. Move Day
• Have a move concierge at the new space to answer questions
• Have directional signage posted to help guide employees
• Have a welcome breakfast and “thank you for your patience” gift waiting for employees at their new desks
• Set up a “help desk” for any small changes that need to take place.
• Have training available for any new technology
4. Post Move
• Host a celebration of your successful move!
• Make training content and tools available to employees on the company intranet
• Consider administering a post-move survey to employees to asses the new space
Enlisting the help of an experienced move management partner can be a key strategic asset when considering a workplace move, but with these best practices under your belt you can set the foundation for a successful transition!
AUTHORED BY: James O’Hare
Meet our bloggers!