If you have an office job, you will sit at your desk for somewhere between 70-90% of your typical workday. Odds are, you are sitting right now while reading this (and full disclosure, I am sitting while writing it). Since you spend a majority of your time sitting, your office chair has a huge effect on not only your immediate comfort but your long-term health.
The wrong chair can have significant negative consequences on both your body and mind. Neck, back, and shoulder pain are some of the biggest indicators that your chair is not supporting you correctly. And this pain is not just a small nuisance. In fact, back pain is one of the most common reasons for employees to miss work. Even more jarring, reports found that uncomfortable office chairs can lead to mental health problems including stress and depression.
So how do you find an office chair that will help you avoid all these issues? Well, the trick is finding a chair that’s ergonomic.
Not exactly up to speed on what ergonomic means? Here’s the recap. Ergonomics is the applied science of designing things that will fit the people who use them. An ergonomic chair is supportive in all the right places and easily customizable. It can be tailored to fit each individual user and help create a comfortable, safe, and efficient work place. That’s the kind of chair you should be looking for!
Check out our top 5 favorite ergonomic office chairs below.
Steelcase is one of the leading researchers in ergonomics and Gesture is a great example of how they utilize their insights to create products that work for their users. After a global posture study across 6 continents, Steelcase found that new technology and new behaviors led to nine new postures used while at work that were not considered in their current seating solutions. Gesture was created to address these new postures and help workers combat fatigue and back strain.
- Unique 360° arms mimic the human arm’s natural movements
- Flexible 3D LiveBack design allows the chair’s back to conform to a variety of users and their postures
- Unique core-equalizer system increases or decreases lumbar support when reclined or upright
- Alterable back stop system creates a tension-adjustable recline system
- Flexible seat edges minimize pressure against thighs
- Seat slider offers quick seat depth customization for users of different heights
- Optional adjustable lumbar support provides extra support for the lower back with 4″ height-adjustment
The G20 features a four position synchro-tilter control that adjusts to body weight automatically and allows you to make seat and tilt adjustments quickly and easily. A synchronized mechanism reclines the seat and slides it to the rear as the back tilts, ensuring that the chair moves with your body. Lumbar support is fully active and can be raised or lowered to suit user’s preference.
- Lumbar support adjustment allows you to raise or lower the lumbar support on each side independently, uniquely positioning support where you need it most
- The synchro tilt mechanism links the seat and the back so that they tilt simultaneously, at a 2:1 ratio, allowing the user’s feet to stay on the floor as they lean back
- Tilt tension is easily controlled by rotating the seat side handwheel clockwise to increase tension or counter-clockwise to decrease tension to match personal preference
Think is the chair with a brain and a conscience. It’s intelligent enough to understand how you sit and adjust itself intuitively. The Integrated LiveBack™ System conforms to your body and moves with you as you change postures. It features an advanced weight-activated seat, so anybody can get comfortable, quickly.
- Lumbar comes standard, and updated dual-energy lumbar uses two embedded glass resin springs to dynamically support the spine’s natural movement
- Advanced weight-activated mechanism with double the synchro ratio (3.5:1) to improve recline posture
- Tension setting has been modified to make it easier for more petite users to recline
- Adaptive bolstering technology uses cored pockets in the seat foam, allowing the seat to hug the legs
- Weight-activated mechanism with adjustable tension controls includes a synchronized tilt function to ensure an optimal seat and back recline angle
- Flexible seat edge reduces pressure on the legs and promotes better blood flow
- Integrated dual-energy lumbar support can be adjusted up and down
- Padded 4-way adjustable armrests can be moved vertically, horizontally, forward and backward, and pivoted inward
Sit your way. The Series 1 Task Chair’s built-in LiveBack Technology can be adjusted to suit each user; simply slide the support higher or lower as needed as the day progresses and different sitters come and go. Adaptive bolstering and 4D adjustable arms allow users to adjust the chair’s arms until it suits them for the task at hand, while adjustable seat depth ensures proper circulation while seated, putting an end to sleepy legs and feet. A few easy adjustments go a long way in setting up a chair that supports you and your coworkers in all the right ways.
- The Series 1 backrest boasts integrated LiveBack™ technology. Interdependent flexors bend and move with the user to support the spine throughout the day
- Soft curved arm caps maintain forearm support and remain comfortable whether sitting upright or reclined. 4D adjustable arms allow for easy pivots as well as personalized height, width and depth settings
- Adjustable seat depth and upright back lock allow the seat to be positioned forward or backward for long term comfort.
- Adaptive bolstering enables the seat to conform to the user’s shape, providing dynamic support that can adapt to the body as postures change.
- Series 1’s intuitive adjustments fit a broad range of users, making it easy to use
Vault’s ergonomic design and sleek look make it a great choice for conference or office applications. High quality woven tension mesh conforms to the user’s back, following every move with support, including the lumbar region.
- A8 adjustable arms, A6 multi-adjustable pivot/swivel arms, A40 adjustable arms and A41 multi-adjustable arms
- High resilient molded foam seat
- New K2 enhanced knee-tilt control with side tension adjustment and three position lock
- A seat slider to adjust seat depth is included with all controls
- Waterfall seat front promotes circulation and good health
Looking for the perfect ergonomic chair for your work space? We can help! Contact us here.